Sunday 19 November 2017

And Then A Skylark Sang

The following is a remembrance poem for Novembers Guernsey open mic evening.

And Then A Skylark Sang

I picked a soft red rose today,
It made me think of you.
Even though my heart felt sad
Its colour warmed the blue.

I felt the prick of blackthorn tree
the day that you fell.
And then one Skylark sang so sweet
In the bloody depths of hell.

I saw a soft red rose today
Strong and vibrant in its hue,
I pursed my lips and blew a kiss
For it made me think of you.

Julian Clarke © 2017

Linked to Poets United



15 comments:

  1. I love the thought of a skylark marking that precious memory. It makes me think of the wartime song Skylark, which is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry, your remarks are always appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Hi Julian, this is stunning. simply beautiful and so touching. Wish I'd written it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful in its simplicity. It seems like you are expressing the contrast between the simultaneous feelings of sadness and the feelings of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you used the rose as image for this made me think of Robert Burns...

    O my Luve is like a red, red rose
    That’s newly sprung in June;
    O my Luve is like the melody
    That’s sweetly played in tune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, I don't know this poem but I shall surely look it up.

      Delete
  5. Very classic mode.luv it

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really felt the opening stanza..finding a red rose in a blue world can warm the heart.

    I picked a soft red rose today,
    It made me think of you.
    Even though my heart felt sad
    Its colour warmed the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! A stunning and impactful piece. And you nailed the rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some moments are so specially marked, like the skylark doing here. Beautiful rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet memories born of a rose - lovely.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated and I shall endeavour to reply, however, this may not always be possible due to time restraints.